10 Fun Facts About Emeralds
May babies won the lottery with this birthstone!
Emeralds are the symbol of rebirth and renewal...
And they're said to bring vitality to your spirit and relieve stress.
Plus, they're also considered a symbol of eternal youth.
Vitality, stress relief, eternal youth??
Sign me up!
And I think we can agree that we could all use some more emeralds in our lives right about now.
So, here are a few fun facts about the highly-coveted, precious gem.
(10) FUN FACTS ABOUT EMERALDS
- More than a birthstone. Not only are emeralds the birthstone for May, but they also are the stone to celebrate 20th, 35th + 55th wedding anniversaries.
- A natural brain boost. Emeralds are said to improve memory & quicken intelligence (yes please!).
- A sea of green. Emeralds come in a range of colors, and color is one of the most important factors in determining the value of an emerald. The darker the stone, the more valuable.
- In the eye of the beholder. When buying an emerald, you can tell the quality by the eye. You want to check for inclusions (imperfections) that get trapped in stone during its formation. The more visible the inclusion, the less valuable the stone.
- A South-American treasure. Colombia is the world’s largest source for emeralds, where more than 50% of the world's emerald supply is mined.
- Sophisticated & soft. Emeralds are a soft gemstone ranking a 7.5 on the Mohs Scale of mineral hardness. They are durable, but also susceptible to chipping and cracking, so handle with care!
- Rarer than diamonds. Emeralds without inclusions are rare and difficult to find, and these rare stones can be worth more than diamonds.
- A cut above the rest. Emerald is the only gemstone that as a diamond cut named after it - the Emerald Cut (see our Emerald Cut Diamond necklace)
- An ancient treasure. There are Emeralds said to be 2.97 billion years old!
- Fit for a queen. Emeralds were Cleopatra's gemstone of choice, adorning her robes, jewelry and crowns with them.
We've picked out a few of our favorite Emerald pieces to help you celebrate yourself or your May babes. Check them out below!
Happy Birthday May Babes!
We hope you learned something new & interesting about your birthstone.
xo, Mel + Jen