Keep scrolling to hear Kellie in her own words, and learn her best tips for keeping your skin safe and stunning all summer long.
1) SUNSCREEN! SUNSCREEN! SUNSCREEN! – Yes, this is a given! Look for UVA/UVB broad-spectrum coverage and an SPF at a minimum of 30. Reapply every 2 hours or more frequently if you are sweating or swimming. My personal favorite brands are EltaMD, Sun Bum, La Roche-Posay, Aveeno, Neutrogena, or Supergoop. Colorescience Sunforgettable Powder Sunscreen is great for on-the-go touch ups and protection! Choose sunscreens that include mineral blockers such as zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. Experiencing five or more blistering sunburns between 15-20 years old increases one’s melanoma risk by 80%, so protect your skin!
2) LOOK FOR UPF CLOTHING AND SWIMWEAR – This is an easy way to help protect your skin. Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) clothing is a rating used for fabrics that protect your skin from the sun. Look for at least UPF50+. I recommend brands such as Coolibar, Mott50, UVSkinz (bonus..this doubles as a mask!), and Cabana Life. UPF clothing is made with really cute designs these days, so you will still look stylish!
3) SIMPLIFY YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE – Hot and sunny days = more sweat -- and the last thing you want is a bunch of heavy products on your skin when it’s 80+ degrees outside. The solution to summer heat is to simplify your skincare routine!
But make sure your skincare routine includes, at a minimum, the following:
- Daily SPF (whether or not you are planning to be outside!),
- light moisturizer (try lotion rather than a cream), and
- a topical vitamin C.
My personal favorite topical vitamin C is SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic. Vitamin C helps bind free radicals from the sun and pollution, which can help brighten skin and stimulate collagen.
4) ALWAYS WEAR A HAT – This is essential! Look for at least a 3-4 inch brim, UPF 50+, and avoid hats that have spaces allowing sunlight through it. Check out Eric Javits or Wallaroo brands for some cute options that will certainly compliment your outfit. We all know that sun on our skin accelerates aging, which includes volume loss, wrinkles, dark spots, as well as contributes to skin cancer. Why not wear a cute hat and keep your face & skin looking radiant, fresh, & youthful!
5) PROTECT YOUR LIPS – This is often an overlooked area! But your lips can get sunburned and they, too, can develop skin cancer! Be sure to load up on your favorite SPF 30+ Chapstick frequently.
Now, if you happen to get a sunburn (but, hopefully not with the above tips!), be sure to take frequent cool baths or showers, use moisturizer that has aloe vera, stay hydrated, and seek help from your local board-certified dermatologist if it’s very severe!
Have fun this summer and minimize the amount of UV that hits your skin!
Your skin & your future self will thank you!
xo, Dr. Reed